A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Green Papaya Salad
I had no idea how difficult it would be to find a green papaya to use for this salad that I was all set to make for dinner. But difficult it was. So difficult that I finally gave up and switched gears, ending up with a rice noodle salad instead. Except for the papaya, I used all the ingredients that I had planned on using, but with rice noodles instead.
I know that this hardly counts as a “pressure cooker” recipe, since cooking the green beans one minute under pressure does not a pressure cooker recipe make, but I consider this the second half of my Thai Chicken recipe from the weekend, so I was able to justify it somewhat.
This shares many of the same flavors as the chicken, so it should go well with it.
First, cook the noodles according to the package directions. I made the entire package, since there is no way to divide up the package before cooking without making a mess, because it comes in kind of a brick shape, but you will only need about half or a bit more.
Now, for the part that makes this a pressure cooker recipe, trim and cut the green beans.
Put 1-1/2 cups water and the steam tray in your pressure cooker. Add the green beans and lock the top on the pressure cooker. Set the time for 1 minute. When the time is up, do a quick release.
Immediately transfer the beans to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. And so ends the pressure cooker portion of our recipe.
Now, combine some fish sauce, lime, Sriracha, honey and garlic. Pulse that a few times in a blender or food processor.
In a large bowl, mix the noodles, about 20 cherry or grape tomatoes (halved), 1/2 cup peanuts, some chopped cilantro and the drained beans.
Toss everything together, then pour in the dressing and continue to toss until it is pretty well mixed together.
Serve with my Thai Chicken recipe.
|Thai Rice Noodle Salad|| |
- 5-6 ounces Asian rice noodles (dry weight), cooked according to package directions and cooled
- 4 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Juice of 1 lime
- 20 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup peanuts, slightly crushed (I put some them in a mortar and pestle and crushed them lightly, and put some in whole as well)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- A few grinds of black pepper
- Place steam rack and 1-1/2 cups water in pressure cooker
- Add beans to steam rack and turn heat to high
- Lock lid on pressure cooker and bring to high pressure
- Set time for 1 minute
- When time is up, do a quick release
- Immediately transfer beans to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking
- In blender container, add fish sauce, honey, garlic, lime and a little black pepper
- Pulse a few times until well mixed
- Drain beans and put in a bowl
- Add tomatoes, cilantro and peanuts to the beans
- Add the noodles and mix everything together
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until everything is blended
- Serve with Thai chicken