OK, make that 30-ish
The last time I made this it took 34 minutes, but I will round it down to 30 anyway. It will vary slightly depending on whether you are using an electric or stove top pressure cooker.
This is another one of my super quick weeknight recipes. With no fewer than 3 canned or jarred items, the entire dish takes around a half hour. In the electric it took about 34 minutes. It is a little quicker on the stove top model, since it comes up to pressure a little quicker.
This recipe can easily be doubled. When I do that, I usually use one can of kidney beans and one can of pinto beans. Of course, doubling the recipe will increase the time a bit since there is more liquid to bring to a boil.
Start by heating a little oil in the pressure cooker over medium high heat. If using an electric pressure cooker, set sauté mode to high.
Add the beef and brown. It’s ok if there’s a little pink, it will finish cooking under pressure.
Add 1-1/2 tablespoons of your favorite chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Adjust salt before serving. Depending on the salt in your salsa and beans you may need to add a little more. Sauté for a minute or so.
Drain and rinse the beans, then dump them in.
Now add a can of Ro-Tel and a 16 ounce jar of salsa. I find it works best with a medium-heat chunky salsa. Pace medium picante sauce works well.
Add 1/2 cup water and stir it all together.
Lock the top on the cooker and bring to high pressure.
Set time for 8 minutes.
When time is up, do a quick release.
Serve in bowls with your favorite toppings, such as onion, sour cream and grated cheese.
I usually serve it with tortilla chips or corn bread.
|30 Minute Chili|| |
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 pound ground beef (I use 85-15 ratio)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon of your favorite chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste) it will vary depending on the salt in your beans and salsa
- 1 can Ro-Tel chopped tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 jar (16 ounce) salsa (I like a medium heat chunky style best)
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup water
- Diced sweet onion
- Sliced green onions
- Grated cheddar or pepper-jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Heat oil in pressure cooker pot on medium-high heat (on electric use the high sauté setting)
- Brown the beef (it is ok if there is some pink, just so it is broken up)
- If there is a lot of fat, drain some of it (with 15% fat beef, I usually don't drain at all)
- Add the chili powder and salt and stir in with the beef. Sauté for a minute or so
- Dump in the Ro-Tel, the salsa and the beans
- Pour in ½ cup water, stir, and lock cover
- Bring to high pressure and set time for 8 minutes
- When time is up, do a quick release
- Serve in bowls with toppings of your choice and tortilla chips or cornbread on the side