I have made a quick Thai-style pressure cooker chicken curry a few times before, but this time I decided to make it more of a one-pot meal and add some cabbage as well (although I did make some rice in a separate pan. As often happens, just when I think I have come up with a totally unique recipe, I search on the web just to check, and what should come up, but a recipe very similar to the one that I had just made on a blog I had never come across before, called Paleo Pot.
Despite the similarities, I decided to post my version anyway, since whereas that version requires 4 hours of simmering in a crock pot (I have included a link to the crock pot version if you happen to use a crock pot), my pressure cooker version can be on your table in less than an hour, including prep time. In fact, I usually try to keep a jar of curry paste and a can of coconut milk on hand for those evenings when I don’t have a lot of time.
The cabbage turns out to be a good match for the chicken and coconut, and I will definitely be using this particular combination again.
Oh, and pay no attention to the tomato paste in the ingredients “group photo”. I had originally planned to use it, but once the whole thing started coming together, it was unceremoniously dropped from the lineup.
I like to serve it with turmeric rice. Give it a try and let me know how you like it!
|Quick Pressure Cooker Chicken Cabbage Curry|| |
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1.5 lbs. boneless chicken thighs
- 1 medium cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canned or jarred curry paste
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Lightly brown the chicken in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat
- Remove to plate
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat
- Saute onions, garlic and jalapeno until they start to soften
- Stir in curry paste and continue to saute for another minute
- Add white wine and stir, scraping browned bits off the bottom of the pan
- Add cabbage, coconut milk, fish sauce and cayenne then stir
- Stir the chicken back in
- Add salt to taste (it may not need any because of the fish sauce and curry paste)
- Cover the pressure cooker, turn heat to high and bring to high pressure
- When high pressure is reached, reduce heat to maintain high pressure
- Set timer for 20 minutes
- When time is up, remove from heat and allow pressure to come down naturally
- Serve with rice