Pineapple Chicken, A Semi-sweet Asian Influenced Dish
I almost called this “Hawaiian Chicken”, but I realized that just because something has pineapple in it doesn’t give me the right to call anything “Hawaiian”, so “Pineapple Chicken” it is! I was kind of going for Hawaiian flavors, but this isn’t exactly a traditional Hawaiian dish. It is more of a semi-Teriyaki-BBQ type dish.
Quick and tasty, this is an excellent dish for a “school night”.
Let’s start by browning a couple pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs. Since many of you seem to be using the Instant Pot these days, I used the “normal” sauté mode for this. Work in batches and remove chicken to a plate after browning.
When chicken has all been browned, sauté some ginger and garlic for 30 seconds or so, stirring continuously.
Add an 8-ounce can of crushed pineapple, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, a tablespoon of hoisin sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Place the chicken back in the pot.
Turn off sauté mode and lock the top on the pot.
Switch to manual mode and set for 15 minutes at high pressure.
When time is up, turn sauté mode to “normal”.
Stir some cornstarch and water together, add to the pot and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring often until thickened.
Serve with sticky rice and a vegetable.
Garnish with sliced scallions
|Pressure Cooker Pineapple Chicken|| |
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken thighs
- 1 thumb sized piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- ½ cup soy sauce (Aloha brand if you can find it)
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup water plus ⅓ cup water to mix with cornstarch
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt (plus some salt and pepper for seasoning chicken)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Scallions for garnish
- With sauté mode on "normal", heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Brown chicken on both sides, seasoning with some salt and pepper, and remove to plate, working in batches
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds, continuously stirring
- Add ½ cup water, pineapple, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin sauce and salt
- Stir it all together and add chicken back to the pot
- Turn off sauté mode and lock top on pressure cooker
- On manual setting, set to high pressure for 15 minutes
- When time is up, let pressure come down on its own for ten minutes then do a quick release
- Set sauté mode to "normal"
- Make a slurry with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and ⅓ cup water and stir into sauce for 3-4 minutes to thicken
- Serve with sticky rice and a vegetable
- Garnish with thinly sliced scallions