A Hearty Beef Mushroom Barley Soup
I was looking for something hearty to make for dinner befitting this cool weather we’ve been having lately. The weather plummeted to 72 degrees today. But really, it has been getting down to the 50s at night, so it really is soup weather. I didn’t want to make chili again since I already had that twice this week. I was pondering what to prepare while having a beer and for some reason it came to me, I will make something with barley it it!
Mushrooms are a natural and classic combination with barley. And I added beef to add even more to the heartiness and to make it a full meal. Just add some sort of bread and you’re set.
I used pre-cut stew beef because I am lazy, but chuck cut into cubes will work as well.
Heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil in pressure cooker on medium-high heat. I used the electric pressure cooker, so I used the Sauté setting on HIGH.
Next, brown the beef on one side, seasoning with salt and pepper while it is browning, then remove to plate. Browning just one side is enough to give it the browned flavor.
If there is a lot of fat from the meat, drain all but 2 tablespoons. Mine was pretty lean, so I didn’t drain at all.
Sauté some diced onion until translucent.
Add the Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Stir it in with the onions and sauté for about 30 seconds.
Splash in a little wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Just a couple tablespoons of wine is plenty.
Add some frozen peas and carrots, sliced crimini mushrooms and barley.
Add the meat back into the pan then pour in some beef broth and a little water.
Toss the bay leaves on top.
Lock the cover on the pressure cooker, and set to high pressure for 18 minutes.
When time is up let pressure come down on its own for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
Serve in bowls with crusty bread or corn bread.
|Beef Mushroom Barley Soup|| |
- 1 pound beef stew meat (or chuck cut into cubes)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb mix (I used Penzey's Tuscan Sunset
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 splash red wine (a couple tablespoons, optional)
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces frozen peas and carrots
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil in pressure cooker on medium heat
- Brown beef on 1 side, seasoning with salt and pepper while it is browning, then remove to plate
- If there is a lot of fat from the meat, drain all but 2 tablespoons
- Sauté the onion until translucent
- Add the Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, garlic powder and pepper
- Continue to sauté for 30 seconds or so
- Splash in a little red wine to deglaze pan, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan
- Add frozen peas and carrots, mushrooms and barley
- Add the meat back into the pan
- Pour in beef broth and water
- Toss the bay leaves on top
- Lock cover on pressure cooker and set to high pressure for 18 minutes
- When time is up let pressure come down on its own for 10 minutes, then do a quick release
- Serve in bowls with crusty bread or corn bread